Umpires, Referees, and Other Sports Officials
- Officiate at sporting events, games, or competitions, to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules are observed.
- Judge performances in sporting competitions to award points, impose scoring penalties, and determine results.
- Signal participants or other officials to make them aware of infractions or to otherwise regulate play or competition.
- Inspect sporting equipment or examine participants to ensure compliance with event and safety regulations.
- Keep track of event times, including race times and elapsed time during game segments, starting or stopping play when necessary.
- Start races and competitions.
- Resolve claims of rule infractions or complaints by participants and assess any necessary penalties, according to regulations.
- Verify scoring calculations before competition winners are announced.
- Direct participants to assigned areas, such as starting blocks or penalty areas.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection. (Using onet26)
Projections Quick View:
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)