New Contests and Experiences (6-8)

Doodle for Google

Doodle for Google

Use your imagination to create a Google Doodle based on what inner strength means to you. One National Winner's artwork will be displayed on Google for one day, along with a $30k college scholarship, $50k technology package for their school/non-profit, Google Hardware, and fun Googley swag! Four other National Winners will also receive prizes.

Login to Save.

Save the Frogs! Art Contest

Save the Frogs! Art Contest

The SAVE THE FROGS! Art Contest invites you to create your coolest frog artwork. The contest will raise awareness of the amphibian extinction problem by getting people involved and interested, and the artwork will be used on t-shirts, stickers and posters, and in greeting cards and books, to both publicize our cause and raise money for SAVE THE FROGS! amphibian conservation efforts. The contest runs through November 1, 2021.

Login to Save.

If I Were Mayor Essay Contest 2021

If I Were Mayor Essay Contest 2021

The Virginia Municipal League (VML) invites all Virginia 7th Graders to join its essay contest, “If I Were Mayor,” to tell others what they would do as mayor* to make their city, town or county an even better place to live. The 2021 Theme is "What I've Learned", and asks 7th graders to reflect on the past year and its challenges.

Login to Save.

Caring for Our Watersheds

Caring for Our Watersheds

Caring for Our Watersheds is an environmental competition that encourages creativity and rewards students for their solutions to local watershed issues. Winning teams win money to implement their idea. Open to: Classrooms/clubs composed of students in grades 6-10.

Login to Save.

Career Exploration in the Health Professions

Medical Careers Exploration Experiences for Children in Middle School and High School through summer camps, volunteer programs, and Health Sciences Academy. Specifically for students in Winchester and the counties of Frederick, Clarke, Warren, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, and Page.

Login to Save.

Camp Woods and Wildlife Camp  (Ages 13-16)

Camp Woods and Wildlife Camp (Ages 13-16)

**2020 camps were cancelled due to COVID-19. 2021 opportunities and information will be listed in early 2021.** The Virginia Department of Forestry, in cooperation with natural resource conservation agencies and organizations, has proudly administered Camp Woods & Wildlife. This unique camping experience has introduced young Virginians (ages 13-16) to the challenges, special skills and knowledge needed for managing the forest resources we use and enjoy every day. The camp meets at Holiday Lake 4-H Education Center. All campers will receive a $200 scholarship to offset some of the costs.

Login to Save.

BLAST: Building Leaders for Advancing Science and Technology

Free 3 day summer experiences in 2021 for current Virginia 8th and 9th graders with at least a C+ average. Applications open November 13, 2020. Apply Early! Due date Feb 8, 2021.

Login to Save.

Ranger Rick’s Photo Contest for Kids

Ranger Rick’s Photo Contest for Kids

Enter your best nature shots online with a parent. Ages 5-13. Easy online entry each month.

Login to Save.

NASA Grades 5-8 Student Site

NASA Grades 5-8 Student Site

Hand on projects, NASA Career Corner, Contests and Things to Do. Note: Essay contest deadline is February 21, 2021.

Login to Save.

Future City Competition

Future City Competition

Future City starts with a question—how can we make the world a better place? To answer it, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students imagine, research, design, and build cities of the future that showcase their solution to a citywide sustainability issue. Past topics include stormwater management, urban agriculture, public spaces, and green energy.

Login to Save.

Virginia Department of Forestry

Virginia Department of Forestry

2021 opportunities and information will be listed in early 2021.** Learn more about Virginia Forests through these activities and materials for Kids and Families.

Login to Save.

USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service

Set up a backyard conservation area with help from the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service.  From creating a backyard pond, planting trees, and creating a wildlife habitat, these activity sheets get you involved in nature. Conservation guide pages 1-14;  pages 15-28.

Login to Save.

Virginia State Parks Programs

Virginia State Parks Programs

Explore what is happening at your favorite Virginia State Park from photography and papermaking to building a bird or bat house. Check out what is happening near you.

Login to Save.

The Kids Science Challenges

The Kids Science Challenges

A project made possible by the National Science Foundation, this site has over 50 science challenges for students to do at home or at school! Includes videos and printables with instructions and directions.  Bring science into any home with these great challenges! Teacher and Parent page here!

Login to Save.

Kids Science Career Videos

Kids Science Career Videos

Sponsored by the Kids Science Challenge, these videos show real life scientists at work!

Login to Save.

Virginia Museum of History and Culture

Virginia Museum of History and Culture

Virginia History Day contests for students in grades 4-12 compete in any one of 9 categories  as an individual or group. VIEW details here. View District contest deadlines here.

Login to Save.

Valley Health

Valley Health

Health Sciences Academy grades 10-12. Students at high schools in Winchester and the counties of Frederick, Clarke, Warren, Rappahannock, Shenandoah and Page are invited to apply, with slots available per school depending on the size of the student body. All applications are handled by the guidance councilor departments at each high school.

Login to Save.

Virginia Institute of Marine Science Programs for Elementary and Middle School Students

From family activities to summer camps check out these opportunities.

Login to Save.

Mathematics and Technology for Talented Youth (MTTY)

Free online individually paced annual program to offer non-credit enrichment courses in mathematics and computer science for students who are entering the 7th grade through 12th grade.

Login to Save.

Division for Health Sciences and Diversity

Programs listed by grade levels 9-12 focusing on health care careers including both summer and academic programs. Applications due in the fall (academic programs) and spring (summer programs)

Login to Save.