Bridge and Lock Tenders
Core Tasks Include:
- Move levers to activate traffic signals, navigation lights, and alarms.
- Record names, types, and destinations of vessels passing through bridge openings or locks, and numbers of trains or vehicles crossing bridges.
- Control machinery to open and close canal locks and dams, railroad or highway drawbridges, or horizontally or vertically adjustable bridges.
- Direct movements of vessels in locks or bridge areas, using signals, telecommunication equipment, or loudspeakers.
- Prepare accident reports.
- Observe approaching vessels to determine size and speed, and listen for whistle signals indicating desire to pass.
- Observe position and progress of vessels to ensure best use of lock spaces or bridge opening spaces.
- Log data, such as water levels and weather conditions.
- Write and submit maintenance work requisitions.
- Perform maintenance duties, such as sweeping, painting, and yard work to keep facilities clean and in order.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Maintain and guard stations in bridges to check waterways for boat traffic.
- Inspect canal and bridge equipment, and areas, such as roadbeds, for damage or defects, reporting problems to supervisors as necessary.
- Clean and lubricate equipment, and make minor repairs and adjustments.
- Check that bridges are clear of vehicles and pedestrians prior to opening.
- Turn valves to increase or decrease water levels in locks.
- Stop automobile and pedestrian traffic on bridges, and lower automobile gates prior to moving bridges.
- Raise drawbridges and observe passage of water traffic or lower drawbridges and raise automobile gates.
- Attach ropes or cable lines to bitts on lock decks or wharfs to secure vessels.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™. (Using onet27)